What causes a small round red mark on the neck?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on 4 days ago in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Yes, good morning. My husband has a small round red mark on his neck. Almost looks like someone put a cigarette out on his neck (that size). It doesn't hurt, not itchy, not blistery. He doesn't notice it other than me pointing it out. I'm not sure if we should be concerned. I'm finding it difficult to find answers on line....Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
If it spreads, then follow up. Seems nothing to worry about.

Detailed Answer:

The red mark seems more like a hyperpigmented area. Maybe it has been there for some time and you noticed it just today. Or maybe it has appeared because of the irritation of the shaving because I see some smaller red spots around it as well.

I would say that from what I see and from what you describe, it is nothing to worry about.

If it spreads more, if it gets itchy, scaly, painful, then you should either follow up with me or consult a local doctor to reevaluate.

For now, you don't need to use anything at all. If it bothers your husband cosmetically he can try to use a mild steroid cream.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Klarida Papaqako, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad