What causes a pus and blood filled bump on the waistline area?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 20 Jul 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, I have this on my waist line area, I sit for most of the day at work, it was harder and had a soft spot, yesterday some pus and blood came out and looks like the picture today. Any thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

This looks like a boil that is draining.

I recommend applying hot wet wash cloth to it as many times a day as you can, minimum of 4 times/day, and keep an eye on the size and color.

If the surrounding area becomes redder, larger,hotter, more tender or harder, then go in to see a doctor immediately.

That it is draining is helpful for it's resolution.

For the hot compresses, stand over the sink or tub and heat up a wash cloth with hot water and apply it to the area. When the cloth starts to cool, repeat this. Do this in the morning before work, at lunch time, after work, and at bedtime, as a minimum.

Heat draws blood to the area and the white blood cells can then clean up the infection. It also increases the temperature of the skin which makes the temperature less favorable for bacteria.