What causes a lump on the tonsil?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Thu, 24 Nov 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello! I had strep a month ago and the antibiotics didn't seem to get rid of it. So for about 3 weeks I have been trying to fight it on my own. During this time I notice a pointy lump, hurts when you push on it, to the left of my tonsils. It is just under the fold so me and my general practitioner couldn't see it but could feel it. I am going to the ENT to check it out I am freaking out reading online. It aches a bit after I press on it. I don't have swollen lymph nodes and no ulcers in mouth or other signs of mouth cancer. Should I be worried? Could it be a cyst? Pus pocket?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No worries, supportive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. pointy lump on the left of tonsil is a part of tonsillar area and could be inflamed pillar , fauces or any other part of waldeyer ring and appears to be a continuation of a sore throat and nothing else. Your doctor will get throat swab and find out the cause of this chronic inflammation . Supportive care with pain killers, salt water gargles, warm comforting beverages and garlic water mouth rinses and short doses of corticosteroids will help. Its not cancer and nothing worrisome, just an inflammed tonsillar pillars need further otorhinolaryngolocal correlation.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng