question-icon

What causes a large red, painful acne like pimple on the back?

Posted on Tue, 15 Dec 2015
Question: Not sure if I should consult a Dermatologist, general physician or a surgeon about this.
Actually, my wife has got a large red, painful acne/pimple on the back (between the shoulder blades).It has been growing gradually since last 2 weeks.

Kindly review the pictures in links below and advise what to do.

Pictures: https://goo.gl/photos/DyRimSmcujbg1PTZA
https://goo.gl/photos/c4CcTZCMkgkE1JRR8

Video: https://goo.gl/photos/yV12HL8zkdxyezSx8
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Infected sebaceous cyst;Oral antibiotics for week followed by cyst excision

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have read your query and I have also reviewed the Image.

This seems like a sebaceous cyst. Since it is painful, red and has also probably increased in size therefore that suggests that the cyst has probably got infected i.e a sebaceous cyst complicated by infection.
If I was the treating doctor I would suggest a course of an Oral antibiotic, preferably an aminopenicillin + clavulanic acid combination e.g either Augmentin or Clavum 625 mg thrice daily for week. This would take care of the infection and accompanying pain, redness and swelling.
In addition I would also suggest an oral antiinflammatory/ painkiller e.g ibuprofen tablet, twice or thrice daily for symptomatic relief from pain.
Once the infection resolves with a week of oral antibiotics, thereafter, the cyst need to be surgically removed in order to prevent this from happening again. This minor surgery can be done either by a surgeon Or a dermatologist therefore I suggest that you may visit either of them firstly for a prescription of an Oral antibiotic to help resolve infection and later for cyst excision surgery.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist