question-icon

What causes a hard white spot at the back of the throat?

Posted on Mon, 21 Aug 2017
Question: Hello. I have developed a hard white spot on the.back of my throat. I have had a raised spot there for some months, but it seems to have grown the past few days as if it is going to "pop." I can probe it with the top my tongue. It is white, hard, and not painful and not itchy, but it is raised and looks like a whitehead pimple on my skin. There is only one and it is not spreading or on my tonsils but on the back wall of the throat.

I have a picture but I'm not sure how to send it.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar (11 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Inflamed lymphoid follicle or blocked minor salivary gland

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I have examined the image thoroughly and of the opinion that it could be either an inflamed lymphoid follicle or blocked minor salivary gland.

Do not worry! In either of the case, it's not a dangerous lesion. There are no signs of malignancy. Drink frequent sips of warm water; avoid coffee, fizzy drinks and chilled beverages. It will disappear in a few days.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist