question-icon

What can you use on a baby's chapped lips?

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018
Question: My 5 months boy lip become very dry and blood is observed in it.
We have applied baby cream but still after some times it again become dry and blood observed.
Is it due to cold weather or something else?
Can we apply vaseline or some other baby product
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (59 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Apply aloe vera lip balm or glycerine.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It is nothing unusual for the lips of a child to become dry, crack and even ooze blood in a weather like this. I do not think it to be due to anything else. You need to apply some moisturizer like aloe vera gel or glycerine on the lips of the baby. Vaseline can be used but aloe vera is much better since the latter hydrates the skin.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician