question-icon

What are the symptoms of poisoning in a child?

Posted on Tue, 24 Nov 2015
Question: Found my 16 mo old playing with Lysol liquid toilet bowl cleaner. I am not sure if she ingested any. It was closed tightly but she still may have licked the bottle. It happened about 9 hours ago and other than being cranky seems fine. Eating and drinking well.
Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar (21 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
I won't get worried as there are no symptoms suggestive of toxicity

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I can understand your concern.
As per your history the chances of ingestion are very less and even if there is a possibilty; if ingested in very small quantity it does not has any side effect.
I won't get worried as more than 6 hours have been passed and there are no symptoms suggestive of toxicity.
I would suggest you to watch for signs of toxicity like vomiting,pain abdomen,rapid breathing,cool extremities or perspiration and if you notice any consult your pediatrician.
Give him plenty of fluids with frequent feeds.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.
Wishing for your baby's good health.
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology