What are the side effects[if any] of using hydrocortisone ointment
Short term, bacterial infections, long term destruction of skin.
Hello Mr XXXXXXX
Welcome to Ask a Doctor service,
I have understood your question.
The side effects of using hydrocortisone ointment on skin for itching are,
1. Bacterial infection of the area, if there is already some bacterial infection present in the itchy area, it will get worse, so use of steroid creams should always be under the guidance of a qualified medical doctor.
2. In the long run, there is higher chances of infections in the area, but more significantly the skin becomes progressively thinner due to destruction of collagen (an integral protein in the skin).
If the affected area is large enough, enough steroid can be absorbed through the skin, hence systemic immunosuppression can resut.
I hope this answers your query.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Abdominal pain, history of gall bladder disease. Overnight treatments?
- Bleeding from a razor cut. HIV infection chances?
- Had craniotomy done after accident. Can I masturbate now?
- Pregnant via IVF, second pregnancy. Problems with vaginal delivery?...
- How much does liver cancer surgery cost in Canada? Will Health Canada...
- Sore throat, abdominal pain. Blood work and strep test good. Had bowel...
- 3 week old baby, cries while passing urine, holds body tight while...
- Persistent red and pink urine, stressed. Serious?
- White discharge from surgery wound, pus from the internal stitches....
- What steps to take to lessen plaque in arteries and lower chances of...