What are the side effects of Valparin Chrono?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: my daughter ( 5 years 8 months ), she is consulted pediatric neurologist and EEG report showing epileptiform dysfunction and diagnosis says she is having Myoclonic Seizure.
she is having some problem with leg, that is some time her leg gets completely stuck.frequency is very less, most of the time it happens once in a month.

doctor now suggested to take VALPARIN CHRONO 200 MG TAB, is there any side effects on taking this medicine,
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Weight gain/hair loss/tremors/ovarian disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

I am of the personal opinion that Valproate(valparin chrono) should not be given in young girls because of these common side effects-
Weight gain
Hairs loss
Tremors
Polycystic ovarian disease
Please discuss with the treating doctor if he wants to shift to alternative first line medicines for myoclonic jerks like Levetiracetam.

If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 1 hour later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for your suggestion. is this problem realy serious issue that my effect her in future as well...one of the homeo doctor suggested, this is a common problem is kids and that will vansih after some time..please tell me your opinion. should we realy treat this problem with medication.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It has to be treated.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Prognosis or future course actually depends on the cause of myoclonic seizures.Sometimes myoclonus may improve as the child gets older but at other times,it may persist till late in the life.
Whatever!It has to be treated at present otherwise,it may have adverse effects on future development of the child.

Hope that I have answered your query.If you have some further questions,I shall be glad to answer else please close the thread,rate it and write a review as your rating will be of help to me.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj