question-icon

What are the repercussion of accidental ingestion of fabric softner?

default
Posted on Fri, 1 Jul 2016
Question: HELLO ABOUT I HOUR AGO I ACCIDENTALLY DRANK FABRIC SOFTNER
doctor
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee (22 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
you need to Visit your nearest ER at the earliest....

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, Welcome to HCM..

I've gone through your query and understand your concern..

Fabric softener mostly contains a lot of toxic substances as well as chemical dyes which are potentially life-threatening in case of ingestion..

So you must not delay any further and rush to your nearest ER / A&E to get immediate medical attention..

Time is the key here , the quicker the better the chances are recovery ..

Please don't panic and don't try to drive on your own..seek help .. stay vigilant.. don't try to vomit either.. no need to drink anything else now else it'll initiate vomiting..stay vigilant and be seated..

There's no home remedies for this , so you must visit the A&E / ER at the earliest for a prompt physical check-up , blood gas analysis, toxicological examination, monitoring and symptomatic management along with decontamination therapy if required..

Even if small amount was ingested still you must visit to your nearest ER / A&E to rule out any internal injuries and / delayed toxic effects..

Unfortunately there are a lot of varieties of fabric softener available in market having varieties of ingredients, so first of all keep the bottle with you and show it to the medical stuffs at the ER for a quicker identification of the poison and treatment accordingly..

Wish you the very best ..

Get well soon..

Let me know how you stay in the due course..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 1392 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
What are the repercussion of accidental ingestion of fabric softner?

Brief Answer: you need to Visit your nearest ER at the earliest.... Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Welcome to HCM.. I've gone through your query and understand your concern.. Fabric softener mostly contains a lot of toxic substances as well as chemical dyes which are potentially life-threatening in case of ingestion.. So you must not delay any further and rush to your nearest ER / A&E to get immediate medical attention.. Time is the key here , the quicker the better the chances are recovery .. Please don't panic and don't try to drive on your own..seek help .. stay vigilant.. don't try to vomit either.. no need to drink anything else now else it'll initiate vomiting..stay vigilant and be seated.. There's no home remedies for this , so you must visit the A&E / ER at the earliest for a prompt physical check-up , blood gas analysis, toxicological examination, monitoring and symptomatic management along with decontamination therapy if required.. Even if small amount was ingested still you must visit to your nearest ER / A&E to rule out any internal injuries and / delayed toxic effects.. Unfortunately there are a lot of varieties of fabric softener available in market having varieties of ingredients, so first of all keep the bottle with you and show it to the medical stuffs at the ER for a quicker identification of the poison and treatment accordingly.. Wish you the very best .. Get well soon.. Let me know how you stay in the due course.. Take Care Kind Regards