What are the long term effects of taking a heavy dosage of Codeine?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 24 May 2018 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: I take 15 bottles of codeine in a month is there any effect on my health or long term effect
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes there are bad effects

Detailed Answer:
Thank for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Codeine is powerful analgesic which belongs to opioid class of medication. In other words it belongs to an addictive class which is associated with both long term and short term health problems.

The major effects include tolerance and dependence which makes individual completely crippled down to do any activity without use of substance. In addition it has powerful effects on your renal system which could to renal failure in long run.

In my opinion you need to stop it as soon as possible as this trend of increasing bottles of codeine over years going to make you completely unhealthy.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below-mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386

Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng