question-icon

What are the health hazards related to accidental ingestion of microchip by a child?

default
Posted on Thu, 10 Dec 2015
Question: 4 days ago my 1 year nephew was playing with my phone and suddenly i noticed that battery was poped out by him and i saw micro sd card was not there..i was keeping an eye on his activity but i am little tensed that if he has swallowed it without chewing.I am 100% sure he didnt chewed but i want to ask can 1 year old child can swallow micro sd card without chewing..No symptoms like vomiting or red stool he is normal and no major sympotm..Please tell me if i need to worry
doctor
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail (29 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Less likely he has swallowed and please do a X ray to confirm

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. A micro SD card measures 15 mm × 11 mm × 1 mm in size. It can be swallowed by a one year old child.

2. If there are no symptoms then it is less likely that he has swallowed it.

3. However a micro SD card will be seen on X ray of the child. I suggest that you do a X ray of the child to confirm

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
default
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail (24 hours later)
sir,he still has not developed any symptom..and i am hundred percent he didnt chew it can he swallow directly without chewing..i think his canal is not that big..what symptoms can i look for.
doctor
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail (4 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Symptoms include mild pain in the abdomen

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back with an update.

1. Symptoms are usually pain in the place where it has got lodged. This can cause pain in abdomen.

2. Sometimes it is difficult to say if a child has swallowed or not. I have seen children swallowing coins and coming to me for X ray. The coin is usually stuck in the throat.

3. If the child is behaving normal and there is no symptom then probably he has not swallowed it.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 6798 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
What are the health hazards related to accidental ingestion of microchip by a child?

Brief Answer: Less likely he has swallowed and please do a X ray to confirm Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. 1. A micro SD card measures 15 mm × 11 mm × 1 mm in size. It can be swallowed by a one year old child. 2. If there are no symptoms then it is less likely that he has swallowed it. 3. However a micro SD card will be seen on X ray of the child. I suggest that you do a X ray of the child to confirm Hope your query is answered. Please do write back if you have any doubts. Regards,