What are the chances of Staph bacterial transmission through intact skin contact?
It is unlikely that your son will develop infection from the above incident
Thanks for writing in to us.
I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.
1. Staph aureus bacteria can be found in the nose and armpits. However your infant will not get the infection just by grazing his hand on your armpit and putting it in to his mouth. Besides you are healthy and do not have any staph aureus or any kind of sore in your armpit. Therefore the incident is not a concern and you can relax that he will not catch a staph infection due to this.
2. The staph bacteria lives harmlessly in many areas of our body as long the skin is contact. The infection happens only when there is a break in skin and the bacteria starts multiplying.
3. I certainly hope that your son does not have any cut wound or any break in the skin by which he might develop the infection.
4. It is unlikely for your child to develop staph infection by grazing his hand near your armpit and putting it in his mouth.
5. The above incident is not a serious concern.
Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.
Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Eye bacterial staph infection
- Staph buildup on skin
- Staph infection skin peeling
- What are the chances a staph infection in
- Is a staph skin infection itchy
- Facial staph skin infections
- Antibiotics for skin staph infection
- Skin pealing from staph
- What antibiotic for staph infection
- What are the symptoms of staph infections?