What PSA value range is considered normal?

Question
Dear Dr. XXXX,

I have a follow along question on my PSA/Urology phone visit currently scheduled for 2 January.

First, what questions should I ask the Urologist REGARDLESS of the test results? Whether the test results are low, medium or high, are there any GENERAL QUESTIONS that I should ask?

Second, what do Y-O-U consider to be a high/troubling PSA test result?

Third, is there a "normal range" for the PSA test result and if so, what is this "normal range"?

Fourth, does the "acceptable/normal range" of the PSA test result change with age?

Fifth, for my age of 71, what would YOU consider to be an "acceptable/normal range" given my age of 71?

Sixth, above what level of test result would you recommend a prostate biopsy be seriously considered?

I realize these are far reaching questions, but I'm just trying to know-before-I-go so I can go into my phone visit call with the Urologist KNOWING a lot more then the average patient, so I can truly have a meaningful and productive conversation
with the Urologist.

XXXX
Tue, 29 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for reaching out to me.

1. Normal PSA value is less than 4. Higher than this is a reason to be concerned. Most important, emphasis should be laid on the trend to see whether it is increasing or about the same as there are many other non prostate related causes that can trigger this.

2. If the values are way above normal and increasing, request for a biopsy. Before that, ask him how his treatment options would change if it were cancer. In simple terms, ask him whether you stand to benefit more form prostate cancer treatment than not. This is because many more people die with prostate cancer and not from it as it is a slow growing cancer. However, 71 is pretty young and he might lean more towards handling it aggressive than taking a watchful approach.

Let me hear from you about the numbers and more insights would be provided accordingly.

Wish you well, XXXX!