Twice yearly blood work came back normal yesterday, as well

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Fri, 28 Dec 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Twice yearly blood work came back normal yesterday, as well as a complete abdominal ultrasound. Six months ago, a fecal test came back normal too. Then why did I have two bowel movements in November with gray stool? Why did I have one bright red blood dot stuck on my bowel movement last Wednesday? I have a mild case of IBS not IBD. I have hemorrhoids. Is this indicative of cancer? Is this indicative of polyps? I am 66 and these two things never happened in my life. The blood floats in the toilet with my hemorrhoids or is on the toilet paper. Not that one time! I never saw it stuck right on the stool. I know what I saw. Thank you.
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 0 minute later
Twice yearly blood work came back normal yesterday, as well as a complete abdominal ultrasound. Six months ago, a fecal test came back normal too. Then why did I have two bowel movements in November with gray stool? Why did I have one bright red blood dot stuck on my bowel movement last Wednesday? I have a mild case of IBS not IBD. I have hemorrhoids. Is this indicative of cancer? Is this indicative of polyps? I am 66 and these two things never happened in my life. The blood floats in the toilet with my hemorrhoids or is on the toilet paper. Not that one time! I never saw it stuck right on the stool. I know what I saw. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sounds more like tomato peel or something of that sort, relax.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

I have carefully read your query and understand your concern.

Based on your description, the red "blood dot" that was stuck to the stool sounds to more like a piece of tomato peel rather than blood.

If it were indeed blood, then it would be a streak, not a dot, and you would notice that on more than one occasion.

If it was blood, then it is likely due to the hemorrhoids, highly unlikely due to cancer as you do not have any other symptoms of cancer like loss of weight, loss of appetite.

You can wait and watch how things for some more days, if you see blood streaks on the stools, then you need a colonoscopy to look for the cause of blood in the stools.

I hope this answers your query for now, if you have any doubts, I would be happy to answer them

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 0 minute later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Best wishes