question-icon

Suggest ways to treat a toenail fungus

Posted on Mon, 11 Jun 2018
Question: I have ingrown toenails and a toenail fungus what I can I use to get rid if it
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Oral antifungals required, nail avulsion for ingrowing nail

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
For toe nail fungus you need to take oral antifungals like capsule itraconazole 200 mg twice daily for 1 week in one month for 3-4 months.
Oral antifungals are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
The most appropriate treatment for ingrowing toe nail is nail avulsion.
If the nail is infected you need to take a short course of oral antibiotic like tablet linezolid 600 mg twice daily for 5 days and apply fusidic acid cream on the ingrown nail twice daily for 5-7 days.
This will help in improving the nail .
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist