Suggest ways to manage defiant and violent behaviour in a child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in ADHD
Question: If my ten year old (adopted) spends exclusive time with her fatherr, she becomes defiant and violent towards me. Since I am only her tutor, she cannot concentrate and refuses to study. Effect may last for weeks. But it does not happen if she spends time with father in presence of others or me. Fail to understand the situation and what is the remedy.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Counselling is required.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Incidentally such things are quite common in adolescents. They undergo sea changes in their body and mind and their mind is not yet competent enough to deal with situations. As a result, a defiant and violent nature emerges. Unless taken care of, things may worsen. You need to see an adolescent counsellor who would be able to closely look at the situation, obtain the confidence of the child/adolescent and help him find better ways to deal with the situation and cope better.

If an adolescent counsellor is not available, a child psychologist can undertake the same task.

Feel free to write back in case of further queries.