Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
177 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest ways to manage defiant and violent behaviour in a child

Answered by
Dr. Diptanshu Das


Practicing since :2005

Answered : 3807 Questions

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in ADHD
Question: If my ten year old (adopted) spends exclusive time with her fatherr, she becomes defiant and violent towards me. Since I am only her tutor, she cannot concentrate and refuses to study. Effect may last for weeks. But it does not happen if she spends time with father in presence of others or me. Fail to understand the situation and what is the remedy.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Counselling is required.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Incidentally such things are quite common in adolescents. They undergo sea changes in their body and mind and their mind is not yet competent enough to deal with situations. As a result, a defiant and violent nature emerges. Unless taken care of, things may worsen. You need to see an adolescent counsellor who would be able to closely look at the situation, obtain the confidence of the child/adolescent and help him find better ways to deal with the situation and cope better.

If an adolescent counsellor is not available, a child psychologist can undertake the same task.

Feel free to write back in case of further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on