Suggest treatment for vomiting and diarrhea

Critical Care Specialist
Question
I've been vomiting for the past 24 hours. I have periods where I am energetic but I have been feeling weak much more.
I feel like my head is heavy and I am nauseous.
My body feels exhausted and heavy.
I've also had diarrhea.

Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Internal Doctor Category

Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
seems like acute gastroenteritis...follow the advises...

Detailed Answer:
Hello there, Welcome to HealthcareMagic,
I've gone through your query and understand your concerns,

First of all, it's important to know how many episodes of vomiting and diarrhea happened so far, please let me know about it...

The vomiting needs to be controlled at first...you can take Tab ONDANSETRON 4mg thrice daily before food (it's also available as mouth dissolving form where you just need to put it underneath your tongue and it'll be dissolved, please check with your nearest pharmacy for this)...

How is diarrhea? Is it completely watery or semisolid? How's the color?

Any pain abdomen?

Did you recall eating any specific food items after which it started?

Yes, all those symptoms are due to dehydration and indicative of persistent fluid and electrolyte loss from the body...

You need to start taking plenty of ORS to compensate the fluid and electrolyte loss, buy WHO-ORS XXXXXXX mix one XXXXXXX in 1ltr of Mineral water and drink it over an hour at first, then repeat the same process but drink over another 3hours, followed by another XXXXXXX and gradually drink over the next 6hrs...you may need to continue taking ORS for up to 2-3days (based on the severity of vomiting and diarrhea)...

Drink only Mineral water, have ORS and mineral water in an alternate fashion (try to drink as much as possible initially, followed by around 3.5 ltr per day) maintain strict hand hygiene (with antibacterial handwash) before and after using wash-rooms...Have simple homemade foods, avoid any outside foods and milk products (apart from Curd/ yogurt, which is safe to consume) for the time being...

If despite following these there's no improvement within a while or any further worsening of symptoms then you need to seek immediate medical attention (please visit your nearest healthcare facility without any delay as there will be a need to start intravenous fluid and electrolyte replenishment as well as few investigations eg. Stool routine microscopic analysis and Culture sensitivity, CBC and Electrolytes with LFT, KFT to look into it further).

I've tried to make it as simple as possible for you to understand, please let me know if I can assist you further...

Take Care
Kind Regards