Suggest treatment for subsequent vomiting in a 1-year-old baby after having milk and grapes

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 24 Aug 2018 in Child Health
Question: My 1 year 8 months baby has vomiting two times since morning. Once after taking milk and second by taking Grapes. Please suggest what to do?
...........

I have her Ondansetron and Digipain. Vomitting has come down and now she is doing potty frequently. Since morning she did it four to five times. Even though she is not taking external milk. Please suggest what to do?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Give antiemetic. Give ORS.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone carefully through your query. Your child possibly has an episode of gastritis, which could be due to viral cause. Proper fluid replenishment with ORS (oral rehydration solution) should be done. Unless this is done, it could lead to fluid and salt depletion. Giving juicy fruits like citrus fruits should help in replenishing the salts and would ease the situation. You also need to give some antiemetic like ondansetron when needed.

You may give Nexpro XXXXXXX one such twice daily for the next few days. Please be patient. But if the child grows lethargic you would have to rush him to the hospital. Monitor the urine output. If it is reduced you would need to increase the fluid intake and if that does not suffice you might need to visit the hospital.

Feel free to write back.

...............

Brief Answer:
You would need to be patient

Detailed Answer:
Good enough. But as I mentioned, you would need to be patient. The loose stools and vomiting would continue for the next 2-4 days. You would have to be patient. Try to refrain from giving external milk. Give a rice-based diet. Proper hydration is important and so you need to give ORS.

Take Care
Dr. Diptanshu Das
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj