Suggest treatment for smelly underarm in child

Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 5 year old daughter underarm smells when she sweat. What can be the cause of that, and what can I use?
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Odor

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question.

This is not unusual. Firstly, you should make sure you are seeing no other signs of puberty (ie: underarm hair, pubic hair, breast buds, etc..). If you see any of these things, consult with our doctor and get a referral for an Endocrinologist (hormone specialist).

If you don't see these features, you have nothing to be concerned about. Many children experience this. You can try baby powder or talcum powder under the arms. If this doesn't work, you can use a deodorant spray.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj