Suggest treatment for skin eruptions after taking calcium and iron supplements during pregnancy

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2015
Mar 2015
Excellent

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Question
hi
i am currently 15 weeks pregnant. My gyanc has asked me to start calcium and iron tablets along with susten 200 and a protein powder Ensure which I have been taking since a month. (image of calcium n iron tablets is attached)
Recently i have noticed that i am having pimple like breakouts on my hand particularly on arms.
Can I replace these calcium n iron tablets with milk and dates or something? or do something to reduce the heat these tablets are causing?
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Iron can be stopped

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
The eruptions can be due to infection, allergy or side effect of iron.
You should consult a dermatologist for proper examination and treatment accordingly.
Calcium is unlikely to cause these skin lesions.
Moreover, calcium supplementation is unlikely to be fulfilled by milk alone.
Iron can be stopped and iron rich foods like groundnut, jaggery, leafy vegetables, dates etc should be taken for supplementation.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist