Suggest treatment for severe pain after cholecystectomy
i had taken already an ultrasound and blood work and did not find anything
Side Note: My friend has suffered for 11 years post gall bladder removal. Every time she ate, she suffered extreme pain in the upper right quadrant. Her GI finally found the source of the pain: scar tissue that formed around the surgical site was constricting the small intestine.
Can this be my problem too, or is it too soon after surgery?
If yes, what do I do?
My surgeon sent me for an MRI. Would this show up on an MRI, and would it show up so soon after surgery?
NOTHING TO WORRY IF ULTRASOUND AND BLOOD WORK IS NORMAL
thanks for posting query at HCM.
read your question thoroughly and understood your concern.
differential: surgical incision pain, fat intolerance/ gastritis or stone remnants in common bile duct.
as per your presentation, ultrasound abdomen is "normal", so stones in common bile duct has been ruled out and the tissue underlying incision maybe normal .
Scar tissue formation constricting small intestine is very UNLIKELY in your scenario.
gall bladder primary role is to store "bile".
when gall bladder is intact, bile is usually secreted after having a meal rich in fat; bile plays a vital role in fat digestion.
after gall bladder is removed, bile is continuously being secreted in small intestine and may reflux into stomach. as a result, gastric inflammation may occur causing pain and discomfort.
moreover, high fat meal induces more bile synthesis - further affecting gastric mucosa.
NO fat intake or decreased fat intake
few weeks trial of OTC proton pump inhibitor (omeprazole/pantoprazole)to combat gastritis ( after discussing with treating physician)
mebeverine maybe used for cramping pain
hope to answer your concern
wish you good and sound health.
Dr Tayyab Malik
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment for severe pain after raspa
- Severe pain lithotripsy treatment
- Cystitis severe pain any treatment
- Suggest treatment for severe pain under the breast
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in shoulders
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in hip joints
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in kneecap
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in the clitoris
- Treatment and cure for severe pain
- Suggest treatment for severe pain due to dengenerative scoliosis
- Suggest remedies for gastric, bloating and flatulence
- Suggest treatment for severe pain under the rib cage, constipation and...
- Suggest treatment for right upper quadrant pain and vomiting
- Suggest treatment for gastritis
- What causes intermittent diarrhea and lower abdominal pain while on...
- Suggest treatment for persistent watery stool
- How long does recovery from a liver abscess take?
- What causes nausea and vomiting?
- What causes elevated AST levels and iron saturation in a young adult?
- Suggest treatment for diverticulitis