Suggest treatment for sebaceous cysts near the labia region

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: How can i prevent getting sebaceous cysts near the labia area?
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 11 minutes later
Hi, wash everyday with gentle soap & keep area clean & dry. Change underclothes often. Avoid tight fitting clothes & air out area whenever possible. Use alum after bath. Avoid shaving/waxing. Cut or trim hair, if required. Avoid oil based creams and use mild moisturizer if needed & allow to air dry. Hope this helps. Pls thank me if satisfied
Follow up: Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 7 hours later
Exactly what do you mean by use alum after bath? Im not familiar with what Alum is. '
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Alum is a potassium or aluminum crystal

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the follow up.

Alum is a chemical crystal usually of potassium or Ammonium which is available as a stone or a deo stick.
This helps as an astringent & prevents moisture collection & reduces chances of infection.
This needs to be applied while the area is still wet (if not wet the deo stick/stone with water) and apply liberally over the area.
Let it dry before putting on clothes.

I suggest that you check for allergies or sensitivity over a small on your inner forearm. Watch over night. If this is fine, then you may use it as advised.

If the sebaceous cyst /follicular cyst persists/recurs (as is the case with certain individuals with a genetic predisposition to develop these) , it needs to be removed surgically, if it is infected or becomes larger than a centimeter.

Reducing the amount of oily, fatty, sugary foods in your diet & limiting caffeine, carbonated & alcohol beverages will help in reducing the chances if sebaceous cyst formation. Make sure you stay well hydrated.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Wish you good health.
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy