question-icon

Suggest treatment for rough skin along with red patches on face

Posted on Thu, 12 May 2016
Question: I had rosacea and have been left with very rough skin on my which , when gently rubbed there are red patches underneath
Answered by Dr. Dr. Kakkar (37 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Sunscreen; Mild steroid i.e cortisone for a week followed by Metronidazole 1% gel

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am Dr.Kakkar(dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

Rosacea is a chronic inflammatory disease of face characterised by flushing, acne/ bumps, persistent erythema, telangiectasis and in late phases tissue overgrowth i.e rhinophyma. It is more common in fair skin individuals.

You seem to have a flare of rosacea. I would suggest you to use a broad spectrum sunscreen, throughout the day. Reapply every 2-3 hours.

For the patches specifically you may use a mild steroid i.e cortisone cream, twice daily for a week. Though steroids are not advisable in rosacea but a mild steroid like hydrocortisone can be used for a short duration e.g a week to reduce redness and patches of rosacea. Thereafter you may use a metronidazole 1% gel, once daily at night. Metronidazole is antiinflammatory and helps reduce redness and flushing in rosacea.

I request you to kindly upload an Image so that I am able to guide you better. You may upload an Image at "Reports Section".

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist