Suggest treatment for redness in the eyes of a child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2018 in General Health
Question: My 20 month old daughter suddenly developed redness in her eyes from yesterday evening. We are not sure whether that is because if she got her self hurt on her eye or for some other reason.

Today we consulted a ophthalmologist and she was little confused in suggesting medicine for it. Finally she told to start with antibiotic drops along with refresh drops and see if the redness goes by Monday if not stop antibiotics(Moxicip) and start with steroid(FML) drops from Monday and see her again on next Friday. She also suggested some soothing drops.

Her investigation resport along with suggested medicine with redness pictures are attached for your opinion.

Questions.

1. What is your opinion on the medicine given and does she really need antibiotics?
2. Is the dosage suggests appropriate?
3. How steroid is different from antibiotics?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Questions answered in sequence.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have checked the attached image. Conjunctivitis is present. Conjunctivitis means infection or inflammation of the conjuctiva. Based on the looks it rather seems to be due to allergic cause. However, it cannot be commented with certainty that a bacerial infection is not present.
1. Can be given but, but you can try and see first whether the other medicines suffice.
2. Yes
3. Yes, it is antiinflammatory.

If I had a patient like her, I would perhaps given Pataday (Olopatadine Hydrochloride) Ophthalmic Solution 1 drop in the affected eye four times daily, and nothing else. You may discuss with your treating ophthalmologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 24 minutes later
Thanks for the response.

I already purchased all the medication given by the doctor. I think FML-T is same as Pataday. Can I start her with FML-T first and see?

Also, is FML-T is safe to give to 20 month old kid?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Try it first

Detailed Answer:
FML eye drops (fluorometholone) is not same as Pataday. Nevertheless, it can be given and you can try it. It is safe for a 20 month old.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng