Suggest treatment for recurrent sinus infection, cough and chest congestion

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
Age 64, had what started as a sinus infection two weeks ago, migrated to a bronchial chest, deep cough thing, got a Z-pak to remedy, now its back again.
YYYY@YYYY
Tue, 29 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Recurrent cough after URTI is mostly due to bronchitis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Recurrent cough after URTI (upper respiratory tract infection) like sinusitis is mostly due to bronchitis (inflammation of airways).
So better to consult pulmonologist and get done clinical examination of respiratory system and PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).
PFT will not only diagnose bronchitis but it will also tell you about severity of the disease and treatment is based on severity only.
You may need inhaled bronchodilators (formoterol or salmeterol) and inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) (budesonide or fluticasone).
Please let me know
1. Do you have breathing difficulty?
2. Do you smoke?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for recurrent sinus infection, cough and chest congestion 48 minutes later
Slight breathing difficulty and a non-smoker.

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of bronchitis is more.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Possibility of bronchitis is more likely because you are also having breathing difficulty along with cough.
So consult pulmonologist and get done PFT.
Hope I have solved your query. If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar. Wish you good health. Thanks.