Suggest treatment for recurrent infections and low immunity

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Head Injuries
Question: I am 76, white female. With in the last three weeks. . .July 3. .. I had a fall in the ocean tumbling over my 5 year old granddaught being tossed around in a rip tide effect. Several days later i was sent to hospital by an attending physician, since mine was away. I was sent to hospital to have brused ribs checked out using a sonagram. Result was negative. I began having head pain in the temporallis on the right side. More pain than I could with stand. I was sent back to hospital for an MRI. Where upon the ER nurse said I did not need an MRI and what I needed was an xray. Still negative. Then I had a CAT scan. In the mean time they determined I had a block to my ear drum and began to use the Chineese Torture method of flushing my ear to remove a block of wax. When I examed it it was black and oily. . .believing that it had
come from the ocean. By now I had an ear infection with all the tortoureous flushing and probing to remove the wax. If I had had my wits about me I would never have allowed that to happen being very deaf in both ears. The pain from the procedure continued for two week and 15 day antibiotic. As they were testing blood they discovered a uninary infection. . .second 5 day antibiotic. Also a CAT scan was taken
and returned negative.

I have been treated by a DO who said there was a lot of congestion in back and was treated with acupuncture in my back and my chest region.

I stopped eating about ten days ago. The thought of food was not something I could do. I draunk lots of lemon water during the day. My bowles stopped working because of the antibiotic and no food. Finally about four days ago I was able to eleminate after taking bentonite and C Salts.

How do I feel now: disoriented, shaky, pain traveling through my body and especially my head. Very sor e to the touch. Pain in my ear is pretty much gone. My mind is shot! The simplist thing I have to do is very difficult. ..finding my way to my hair cutting place? I have been on a bed and a couch for close to two weeks now. Hardest thing I have to do is to get up. My apetite is returning so I am eating one meal a day. Still lots of pain in my back.

I have just realized that I have eaten plums from Costco that are with in the date of when they found Listeria MONOCYTOGENES. For one very healthy woman all her life, I feel like I am heading into a pit!
I want to know how my immune system got so weaked so fast and why these infections? What can I do about all this from a Holistic Health standpoint? I have lived all these years with very little drugs and take no medications. What is the charge? Cannot find it? Terms and Conditions before I know what they are? I forgot to mention that I have been to a neurologist and she diagnosed me with Concusion Syndrone and felt certain I will get better with time.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need reassurrance...

Detailed Answer:

I went through the details you posted with diligence. I see your post in three phases.
1. You apparently have been healthy till that accident.
2. Second phase where you had those headache and ear pain. It recovered after clearing blocked / impacted ear wax. A phase were you seemingly developed urinary tract infection, low appetite and bowel disturbance. You have almost made out of this phase.
3. Now the latest symptoms of back ache, disorientation, tremors, impaired memory and generalized body pain.

Since the first phase is not relevant now, let's talk about second and third ones.
1. The second part of your question where you had ear pain, urinary infection and appetite changes is unlikely to cause future health problems. Neither do they seem to be related to the latest list of symptoms. Since you have made out of this issue, there is no need to probe at the cause or plan steps of action now.

2. The current list of symptoms are non specific. It needs a good clinical examination to diagnose the cause. Since you have already been to a neurologist, I will not doubt their diagnosis. Concussion syndrome can very well explain most of those non specific symptoms. It does take a while to recover from it. Some individuals need 3-6 months to recover. As there are no alarming symptoms, definitely nothing to suggest a week immune system or persistent infection. I would only suggest you to be reassured. Talk to a clinical psychologist if you don't feel better. If necessary a brief course of antianxiety pills will make you feel better.

Hope I make sense. I will be available to clarify your doubts.