Suggest treatment for oral submucous fibrosis symptoms

Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: having trouble eating, can't open my mouth wide to insert spoon or fork
Answered by Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be oral submucous fibrosis or similar

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Welcome to HCM.

I have gone through the question and understand your concerns.

In people who chew tobacco, the mucosa of the skin gets damaged and this can cause it to heal back with fibrosis. This is one possibility.

With old age, the joints will become tight and the skin become taut as well. In such cases, opening the mouth is difficult and this can lead to the problem that you are having as well.

This can be treated by chewing steroid capsules, taking some steroid injections or by surgery. Please see a doctor to talk about this.

I hope I have helped answer your query. Please post a follow up if you have more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar