Suggest treatment for low grade astrocytoma in brain

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: my daughter has low grade astrocytoma in brain,she had suffered seizure.now she is having 3 doses of levipil 500 &oxotal 150 twice a day
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
She is currently receiving an updated therapy.

Detailed Answer:
HI,

I have carefully read your query and understand your concern.

Low grade Astrocytomas in children have an excellent prognosis.

In children who present with Seizures antiepileptic treatment with levetiracetam(levipil) and oxcarbamazepine(oxetol) can control the seizures,

Currently she is put on the required drugs and is receiving an updated treatment.

Apart from medical management ,Surgical resection is the definite and curative mode of management.

In case you have any further queries on this subject ,post them on http://bit.ly/drsureshheijebu

Thank you,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 22 hours later
is dnet & astrocytoma same
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
The two are different tumors.

Detailed Answer:
DNET is a benign slow growing neoplasm arising from cortical grey matter,with multinodular architecture and heterogenous cellular composition.

the both tumors differ histologically.
thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D