Suggest treatment for loose motions in a child

Posted on Thu, 13 Apr 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi Doctor,

My daughter is 8 months old. Till yesterday she was doing fine.

From yesterday after noon she is having too many motions. Most of them are loose motions. Yesterday she had around 8-9 motions. Today 3 times in the morning. Apart from this she does not have any other symptoms and she is looking fine.

Is this fine? Please suggest us? Does banana cause motions?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give plenty of fluids,watch for signs of dehydration

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
The most common cause of loose stool in this age is some viral infection or allergy to any recently introduced food material.
The main aim of management in loose stool is to give plenty of fluids to avoid the dehydration.
I won't get overly worried if child is otherwise active, drinking well, there is no vomiting and she is passing urine normally.
Giving Zinc drops and probiotics helps in early recovery from loose stool.
I would like to know if you have given her banana for the first time. Banana usually does not causes loose stool but if you find that the baby has started loose stool after introduction of banana;better you should stop this temporarily.
So give zinc,probiotics with plenty of fluids and watch for any abnormal symptoms.If there is any significant abnormality consult your pediatrician immediately.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 24 hours later
Thank you doctor for the detailed reply.

Banana is not new to the baby, we are giving banana to her from the last two months. She is not vomiting. We didn’t introduce any new food in the last week.

Her urine is bit hot. Apart from frequent stools there is no other abnormal symptom and she is looking healthy only. May be out of 8 stools in the day, half of the stools look watery. Normally she used to pass 1 or 2 stools a day.

Can we give her nutmeg juice (half spoon) to the baby to control the motions? My mother is suggesting us to give it.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may try nutmeg juice but with caution

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Again I would like to say that there is nothing to worry as loose motion itself does not causes any problem unless it causes dehydration.
Give some probiotic with zinc.
Frankly speaking I don't have any idea about nutmeg juice.
Juices are usually avoided during loose motion as it may precipitate the condition.
But as the amount suggested by your mother is very small (half spoon only) you may try this. As introduction of new item may also worsen the condition just be cautious and stop it if needed.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 14 hours later
Can you suggest any name of the medicine (probiotic, zinc) to ask for them in medical shop.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Z & D drop and enterogermina/novogermina/econorm

Detailed Answer:
Hello
For zinc you can give Z&D drop 1 ml once a day for 14 days and for probiotic, enterogermina/novagermina/econorm XXXXXXX once a day can be given.

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology