Suggest treatment for itchy black spot on the back

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a small spot on my back that has itched off and on for a year now. I cannot see anything in this spot. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be notalgia paraesthetica, nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I am Dr Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, a dermatologist.
According to your complaints it seems you are having notalgia paraesthetica.
It is chronic disease of the skin charactersised by patch of itching and discomfort at the back .
It may be caused by entrapment of some nerves predisposed by back injury or back trauma from prolonged sitting.
It is not something very serious.
It usually responds to application of capsaicin cream or cream containing combination of lignocaine and prilocaine.
In some patients oral oxcarbazepine 300-600 mg for 6 months has been found to be effective.
These all are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng