• question-icon

Suggest treatment for hip pain

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I believe I have osteo arthritis in my right hip. I have been diagnosed with osteopenia in the past with a bone density test. I have been to an orthopedic doctor who took X-rays of my lower back which he treated with a steroid medication. That pain has been relieved for that, but he didn't offer me any treatment for my hip pain. I'm having difficulty walking and especially going up and down stairs in my house. I have tried over the counter medications, such as Aleve, advil and Therma Care patches at night. Is there any treatment for this condition? Thank you. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use the medicines regularly and consider physical therapy.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Thank you for using HCM to post your health query.

Osteoarthritis is a problem that affects often single big joints, like the hip in your case.
The treatment is the one that you are using. So, I would recommend using Aleve 500mg twice/day, or Advil 400-600 mg 3 times/day regularly in the times when the joint hurts, for 3-6 months. When the inflammation has settled down, then you need to keep it moving, but without overusing it. In this case physical therapy is helpful.
Other things that may help is using a stick while walking, being active but not overusing it, Therma Care patches help, ect.

From what I'm reading you seem to be doing things right. I would add the advice to use the medicines regularly for some time, until the inflammation goes down, and consider physical therapy to keep the range of motion.

If worse or not better, I would recommend seeing a local doctor.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.
Otherwise please close and rate the answer.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Klarida Papaqako