Suggest treatment for dryness and chafing around the lips

Dermatologist
Question
I have dryness and chafing all around and underneath my lip. Is there anything over the counter I can use for this?
Fri, 4 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably peri oral dermatitis

Detailed Answer:

I read history and saw the photo,I feel that most probably you may be having peri-oral dermatitis. It is a disease,do not apply any product directly without consulting the dermatologist.

I would suggest...

- Doxycycline cap 100 mg daily for few weeks
- apply metronidazole gel twice a day
- Discontinue applying cosmetic,steroid and sunscreen
- Avoid fluorinated tooth paste
- Wash the face with warm water
- Avoid soap to cleanse the face, you can use nonsoap liquid like dettol diluted in water

Kindly continue treatment as suggested under guidance of doctor. I hope this would help you.

Thanks.

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for dryness and chafing around the lips 5 hours later
Went to dermatoligist. He suggested using Aquaphor every 2 hours for a week. He thinks that will take care of it.

Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most probably perioral dermatitis

Detailed Answer:

I can understand your problem. If you do not get relief after a week,you should consult other competent dermatologist for the perfect diagnosis and proper treatment. You may discuss about your problem with him showing my comments.I hope,he may give you proper treatment.

I hope this would help you.

Thanks.

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD