Suggest treatment for cotton from q-tip stuck in the ear

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi

I was cleaning my ear with ear bud but when i took it out the cotton was not on it. I have asked 2 people to look in my ear but no luck they can not see it. Is this dangerous?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

The cotton from the cotton swab (Q-tip) is still in there - it can't have disappeared. If there is not pain, it usually isn't dangerous, but it can muffle your hearing. Eventually it will work it's way out but this can take time. I recommend you make an appointment with your doctor or go in to a clinic, tell them the situation, and the nurse will irrigate your ear with water which will flush this out.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.