Suggest treatment for bunionette on the outside of foot

Dr. Karl Logan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 25 Nov 2015 in Back Pain
Question: Hello
My 11 year old son has enlarged 5th metatarsal base bones on his feet, is this something I need to worry about? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Bunionettes

Detailed Answer:
hi,

thanks for your question.

we call these bunionettes.

they can rub on shoes and cause symptoms and this can usually be managed by choosing a wide soft shoe. sneakers are often the best type of shoe to accommodate them.

surgery can be performed to reduce the size of the bumps but this is usually not necessary and personally I would not do this type of surgery on my own child if he had them.

I hope this answers your question.

best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Karl Logan 13 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX
Thank you for tour reply.
These bumps are not at the Taylors bunion area, but at the base of the 5th metatarsal base bone, further back towards the heel.
He has no pain. On the internet I came accross a condition called iselin disease. Apparently iselin causes pain but my son doesnt have pain.
I hope he doesnt have iselin disease or anthing sinister like tumour? Thank you so much if you could clarify this for me, most appreciated. Best Regards
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Questions addressed

Detailed Answer:
hi thanks for the follow up question,

oh sorry I misunderstood your original question. it is normal to have bumps at the base of the 5th metatarsal area. some kids have bigger bumps than others. these bumps are sometimes more obvious if a child has metatarsus adductus or hook foot. if they are not painful and not rubbing on his shoes then they can simply be ignored.

it would be unheard of to have any sort of tumour benign or malignant on the same spot on both feet.

iselins disease is an apophysitis. it's can be associated with swelling and bony enlargement. apophysitis can happen in many different parts of the immature skeleton and it is a painful condition.

I hope this answers your question.

best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Karl Logan 5 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

Thank you very much for your very clear explanation. I completely understand.
My concern was that it might be something sinister.

Brother of my friend passe away from bone sarcoma when he was 30. And he had lumps on his knees and elbows since he was very little.

This effected me deeply, and also I became very scared when I noticed the situation in my son's feet.

Thank you again, Best Regards
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be osteosarcoma

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

thanks for your follow up question.

the bumps on your friends knees and feet where likely not related to the fact that he developed osteosarcoma.

Osteosarcoma most commonly occurs in the end of the thigh bone around the knee. It does cause swelling and pain but usually a more circumferential swelling in the end of the thigh. Osteosarcoma is rare - only about 200 cases per year in the whole of North XXXXXXX It is uncommon to see this problem in the feet.

I hope this further reassures you and answers your question.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina