Suggest treatment for blood in stool

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
I have had blood in my stool for a few days now. sometimes itches. bright blood on stool and toilet paper. started using suppositories from a previous Rx for fissures. Anucort 25mg 2x/day. Do you have any other suggestions? Also have been using Preparation H.
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Lump

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Let us know the exact diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood the concerns.

Blood in stool and on toilet paper without pain can be due to hemorrhoids as fissure-in-ano is usually painful. One can have both the conditions.

Itching can be due to infection secondary to soiling by feces that is high in bacteria or local excoriation in the perianal area.

Hence it is necessary to know the exact cause first.
This is possible only by an actual per-rectal digital examination, Ano-proctoscopy to start with and colonoscopy to rule out any pathology in the colon as your age is 59.
Exact cause thus found can help in planning a proper management.

Till then take Sitz bath in a tub with warm water.
Stool softeners if there is a hard stool.
Tests of stool and blood (micro-analysis) help further.
A course of an antibiotic, Metronidazole may help if there is an evidence of an infection in colon or investigations.
Also, take probiotics daily.
Take only those foods and beverages which do not instigate or enhance your problems.
Anucort and Preparation-H only help locally and symptomatically and should be used only after confirmation of an exact diagnosis.

I hope this answer helps you.

Please give feedback once the examination and investigations are done.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.