Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for bacterial infection around the eyes

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5572 Questions
I am a 69 year old woman in moderately good health, with high blood pressure and arthritis, plus pseudo-gout. Two days ago I had open skin above my right eye. the next day it turned into a real sore and my right eye was swollen. Today the eye is almost swollen shut. I did not hit my head or burn my skin with a dcurling iron. I have had headaches and swelling on the right side of my yead.
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. Based on your description, it seems to be a bacterial infection, and is spreading locally. The cause of eye being shut is mechanical ptosis, where due to swelling of eyelid, it droops down. I do not think there could be any internal brain infection at this point of time. However, if the infection is not treated, the infection may spread internally to the brain. I would advise you to start a course of antibiotics in consultation with your doctor, so that the local infection can be cured. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor