Suggest treatment for auditory hallucinations while on Diphenhydramine

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Hi,
I have quick question regarding auditory hallucinations. I have been taking Diphenhydramine HCL in very large dosages every night for the past year as a sleep aide. I stopped this a couple months ago and am now hearing voices 24/7. Any advice on getting rid of these voices?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
anti psychotic medicine is the treatment

Detailed Answer:

Auditory hallucinations are side effects of Diphenhydramine. However in case they are started after stopping the drug. We need to check that there is no other cause. For that you need to consult psychiatrist for evaluation.

In any case treatment is antipsychotic drug like risperidone or olanzapine.

Please consult doctor soon to take prescription and get rid of the hallucinations.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 6 hours later
Thanks for the response. Something else I want to mention is that I have an ear infection that is going on as well, on and off for about a year. Could an ear infection compound this auditory hallucination problem?
Brief Answer:
yes ear infection can contribute to the hallucinations

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for information.

Ear infection may cause some noise and contribute to auditory hallucinations. However it cannot produce voice of human beings.

Can you tell what is content of your hallucinations (how, whose and what voices you hear)?