Suggest treatment for a peroneus brevis tendon tear and chronic Achilles tendonitis

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have had chronic Achilles tendonitis for 6 months or more. 1st podiatrist misdiagnosed the condition. Went to second podiatrist and he tried the normal things rest, ice, anti-inflammatory, soft boot. No change at all. Finally sent me for MRI, 15mm long low grade partial thickness tear, and short segment longitudinal type tear of the peroneus brevis tendon. Had special brace made but unwearable due to rubbing, pressure on arch, slipping. He has not done anything to alter brace only given me visco heel wedge to fix brace. He claims surgery not needed just keep with brace or boot. Not sure what to do next. Not happy with this podiatrist. Do I go to a different type of doctor, trying to avoid surgery if at all possible. In 60's moderately active, walking, but not since pain started in heel area. Advice?
Tue, 29 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Collegen supplements will help.

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your query in detail.
The tear in the tendon that you have can heal earlier with supplements like collagen type I and muco polysccharides. Stem cell injections in the area will also help in healing.
You need to consult an orthopedician and get proper supplements prescribed and plan for the injections for an early healing. Using the brace will also help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for a peroneus brevis tendon tear and chronic Achilles tendonitis 16 minutes later
I did go to an orthopedic surgeon and he of course advises surgery. Not ready for that. if other things can help. What is the difference between an orthropedician and an orthopedic surgeon? What are the collagen supplements or muco polysccharides. Stem cell injections in the area will also help in healing. You are recommending. Never heard of them as a suggestion before. Any advice on how to find a good orthropedician?

Brief Answer:
Orthopedician is same as orthopedic surgeon.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Orthopedician is same as an orthopedic surgeon. The collagen supplements are available on prescription. You can show this transcript to your orthopedician and discuss the other options except surgery with him. You can get a referral to a good orthopedician through your primary physician as he will be aware of all the specialists in your area.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.