Suggest the course of action to avoid relapse of aggressive bladder cancer
Surgery followed by immunotherapy or chemotherapy followed by radiation
Since your uncle was diagnosed with aggressive bladder cancer and had surgery followed by some therapy I would like to know what type of surgery he had and what therapy he has got so far (these details are of extreme importance as the entire course of treatment as well as prognosis is depending on them).
Generally, for such aggressive bladder tumor, Cystectomy surgery is done where the entire/partial bladder is removed followed by chemotherapy or immunotherapy followed by radiation treatment so that the bladder cancer does not come back.
Prognosis for such patients is good and average lifespan after treatment is around 10 years.
If you have any more queries I will be glad to help.
Dr. Monish De
5 year survival rate increases from 5 to 15%.
Since it was a stage 4 bladder cancer and they first gave chemotherapy followed by surgery to remove his bladder his prognosis will improve from relative 5 year survivall rate by about 10%
He has to go for regular checkups 4 monthly as he is rightly doing.
The aim of treatment at this stage is palliation and not cure.
By palliation it means it is supporting care to improve his symptoms and help him have a good quality of life till he survives.
Since now his tumour is removed, his 5 year survival rate increases from 5 to 15%.
Hope I answered your query.
Dr Monish De
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Laptops and bladder cancer
- Oncovite bladder cancer
- Methamphetamine bladder cancer
- Bladder cancer treatment
- Scotch whiskey bladder cancer
- Non-aggressive bladder cancer
- Pressure in tailbone and bladder cancer
- Aggressive bladder cancer prognosis
- Methamphetamine use and bladder cancer
- Aggressive forms of bladder cancer
- What causes acid reflux post normal upper endoscopy?
- Suggest treatment for stage 3 non small cell lung cancer
- Suggest treatment for ovarian cancer
- What causes chronic abdominal pain, nausea and fatigue?
- What causes swelling in armpit,collar bone ,face and hair loss?
- Suggest alternatives to chemotherapy for gall bladder cancer?
- Is esophogeal cancer a slow growing cancer?
- Suggest treatment plan when suffering with breast cancer
- Suggest treatment for melanoma
- What are symptoms of leukemia and lyphoma?