Suggest the course of action to avoid relapse of aggressive bladder cancer

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 7 Sep 2018 in Cancer
Question: I don't have much details but my uncle was diagnosed with aggressive bladder cancer. He had surgery to remove his bladder and I believe some type of therapy after. What can be done to make sure cancer does not return and what does his prognosis look like?
Answered by Dr. Monish De 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Surgery followed by immunotherapy or chemotherapy followed by radiation

Detailed Answer:

Since your uncle was diagnosed with aggressive bladder cancer and had surgery followed by some therapy I would like to know what type of surgery he had and what therapy he has got so far (these details are of extreme importance as the entire course of treatment as well as prognosis is depending on them).

Generally, for such aggressive bladder tumor, Cystectomy surgery is done where the entire/partial bladder is removed followed by chemotherapy or immunotherapy followed by radiation treatment so that the bladder cancer does not come back.

Prognosis for such patients is good and average lifespan after treatment is around 10 years.

If you have any more queries I will be glad to help.

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 30 hours later
I found out it was actually stage 4. They did chemo first and then removed his bladder. I do not know if it was a partial or full removal. He goes every four months for a check up to make sure it hasn't returned. Is there anything he can do to improve his chances of staying cancer free and since they removed his bladder does this improve his prognosis?

Answered by Dr. Monish De 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
5 year survival rate increases from 5 to 15%.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Since it was a stage 4 bladder cancer and they first gave chemotherapy followed by surgery to remove his bladder his prognosis will improve from relative 5 year survivall rate by about 10%

He has to go for regular checkups 4 monthly as he is rightly doing.

The aim of treatment at this stage is palliation and not cure.

By palliation it means it is supporting care to improve his symptoms and help him have a good quality of life till he survives.

Since now his tumour is removed, his 5 year survival rate increases from 5 to 15%.

Hope I answered your query.

Take care,

Dr Monish De

Oncologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana