question-icon

Suggest remedy for extreme ear pain

Posted on Thu, 28 May 2015
Question: I was told at ambulatory care last night that i have fluid in my ear. I am in excrutiating pain! Is that normal?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar (59 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is normal...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

Earache could be due to various reasons. The commonest cause is blockage of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear).

The blocked Eustachian tube traps the secretions of the middle ear thus causing pain due to build up of the fluid.

Do not worry! This is a simple and common problem. With adequate measures, this can be taken care of.

My suggestions to you are:
1. Drink plenty of warm water
2. Do steam inhalation
3. Use saline nasal spray to decongest the nose and to open up the tube
4. OTC pain reliever
5. Avoid chilled foods and beverages, coffee and smoking

If the symptoms do not get better with the above measures consult your doctor for further investigation and management.

Hope this answers your question. Revert back to me if you have follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist