Suggest remedies for inner lip injury caused by wearing dentures

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Dental Health
Question: Hi. I wear dentures and for about a year now the bottom plate has been rubbing the inside of my lip raw. It's not healing... What should I do!
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Overextension of the denture flange, sharp points..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain if there is rubbing of the lower denture to the inner lip making it raw and inflamed then there is a possibility that there are sharp and pointed elevations in the denture towards tissue surface while can also be due to excess height of denture flange..
It can also be due to poor fitting of denture causing continuous mobility of denture and rubbing to mucosa..

I would suggest you to consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated and a thorough clinical evaluation and assessment of denture has to be done..

In case if there are sharp elevations then trimming and smoothening the same will help..

If the fit is not proper then either relining or rebasing or fabrication of new dentures can help..

Although oragel etc can give temporary relief but you should continue to apply the same for relief..
Cold water rinses can also provide relief from Inflammation...

Any further questions are welcome..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj