Suggest remedies for constipation and excessive gas in an infant

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi..we had our first baby on 15th feb 2016. He has been continously crying for last couple of weeks and he passes stool only on alternate days. When consulted with a doctor here, he said its due to gas and is normal and told to make him lye on his belly. Not sure of why this is happening. Can you help here?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is due to colic

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Most often incessant cry in children of this age is due to abdominal distension or colic which is actually frequently encountered. You should burp the baby for at least 15-20 mins after each feed. All you need to do is to hold the baby head end elevated for this duration. The extra air taken in would escape and the milk will not regurgitate back from the stomach to the food pipe.

Let me emphasize on the fact that breast milk is the best possible milk for a baby and there can be no alternatives for the same. Most formula milks are cow milk based and hence difficult to digest. Mother's breast milk is produced on the demand of the baby. Hungrier the baby, more vigorous is the suck. More is the suck, more is the amount of breast milk produced. Giving formula automatically reduces the demand of the baby and thereby the production of breast milk. All you need to do is to switch back to exclusive breast feeding and the production will increase automatically. All you need to do is to monitor the urine output. If the frequency is more than 6 times in 24 hours, you would know that the amount of feeding is adequate.

Let me know if you have further queries.