Suggest remedies for accidental ingestion of a staple pin

Question
I took some supplements last night and accidentally swallowed a small staple, 12 hours later it is still in my throat. I have tried bread, liquids, eaten a salad and some fruit. Still in my throat. Any thoughts?
Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Zotaj Antoneta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
An xray would localize the stapler and help guide further treatment

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

The staple feeling in the throat can be due to the staple itself still being there or due to the scratching the staple has caused to the mucosa of the throat while it has gone down.
If you don't see the staple very likely you are just feeling the hurt area and not the staple itself. Still to make sure the staple is in the throat or not might be helpful to have an xray- because it is metal, it would be very easy to locate it and determine if it is in the throat or somewhere else.
If the staple is in the throat and easily visible than you will need the help of a doctor to carefully remove it. If the staple is not easily visible with a free eye or is not in the throat than very likely the doctor will advise you to just wait and see till you bring it out with stools.

I would recommend you to go and see your doctor to be able to better determine the location of the staple and the doctor will further direct you if it can be removed or just to monitor you till you bring the staple out with stools.
Most of the times they come out without causing any problem but in case of any symptoms or complaints you will need to see your doctor.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to reply if more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD