Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Suggest remedies for accidental ingestion of a staple pin

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 607 Questions
I took some supplements last night and accidentally swallowed a small staple, 12 hours later it is still in my throat. I have tried bread, liquids, eaten a salad and some fruit. Still in my throat. Any thoughts?
Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Zotaj Antoneta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
An xray would localize the stapler and help guide further treatment

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

The staple feeling in the throat can be due to the staple itself still being there or due to the scratching the staple has caused to the mucosa of the throat while it has gone down.
If you don't see the staple very likely you are just feeling the hurt area and not the staple itself. Still to make sure the staple is in the throat or not might be helpful to have an xray- because it is metal, it would be very easy to locate it and determine if it is in the throat or somewhere else.
If the staple is in the throat and easily visible than you will need the help of a doctor to carefully remove it. If the staple is not easily visible with a free eye or is not in the throat than very likely the doctor will advise you to just wait and see till you bring it out with stools.

I would recommend you to go and see your doctor to be able to better determine the location of the staple and the doctor will further direct you if it can be removed or just to monitor you till you bring the staple out with stools.
Most of the times they come out without causing any problem but in case of any symptoms or complaints you will need to see your doctor.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to reply if more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor