Suggest creams for burn scars

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Is there any cream i can use to remove burn scars?
I have attached snaps at the time it had burnt and hoe it is now. Please advise which cream to apply as this scar is very annoying.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Skin burn still healing, do not apply any medicine

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have seen the attached pictures.
Your burn area seems to be healing at present .
It looks like you had superficial skin burns only.
In such cases, although initially the patient may have either some lightening of skin or skin darkening but eventually we can expect the patient to have normal skin color.
Since at present it is still in the healing stage, so all you need to do is to apply some moisturizers over the area two to three times in a day. You can also apply either olive or coconut oil over it.
The final skin color will be visible in atleast six to eight weeks. At that point, depending upon whether you develop a dark scar or a light one, then you can take further treatment . At this stage, application of any medicine will only halt the normal skin healing process .
You can take oral vitamin c 500 mg tablets once a day to speed up the healing process.

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 4 hours later
It is completely healed and dry. Plz prescribe any cream as it has happened 3 weeks ago.

My elders told me that applying oil will make the mark remain forever... is it a myth?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take treatment for the burnt area

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

You can start application of hidrate skin cream or efaderm skin cream over the affected areas twice a day.
Application of oil also helps . It does not cause any problems to the area.
We can expect the skin texture to become better and normal in six to eight weeks.

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj