Suggest a diet plan to be followed during pregnancy

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: Hi,
My wife is in the early stage of 2nd trimester. Can you please let me know what should be the diet plan she should follow.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
In pregnancy normal diet is best

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Following are few tips that are very helpful in diet plan during pregnancy. Small but frequent meals needed in pregnancy. Mostly something needs to eaten every 2-3 hours. The diet can be balanced and nutritious. Regarding content of diet, it is best to take whatever mother feels like eating. Greens, milk and fruits are important part of diet. But if mother is feeling vomiting for any food or milk, then she can avoid it for sometime. There are some foods that are considered abortifacient in Ayurveda and can also be avoided e.g papaya, raw meats, raw fish, fish oil, raw (not boiled) milk, foods rich in seeds like sesame, fenugreek fennel, pineapple. When the pregnancy progresses, she will need to increase calorie content in her diet. High calorie foods include butter, ghee, sweets, shakes, ice cream, cookies, pastries, cakes, etc. Its also a common observation that if mother takes adequate calorie foods starting early morning then chance of vomiting is less.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee