Sometimes before a sporting event I get so nervous it

Psychiatrist
Question
Sometimes before a sporting event I get so nervous it feels like my heart is trying to escape through me back (l get mild back pains on the left side of my mid back), or just twinges on the front side of my heart. I assume these are relatively harmless?
Fri, 2 Feb 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
ECG is recommended

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Although it seems harmless but possibility of angina can not be ruled out. In my opinion it will be better if you can see a doctor for ECG as well as TMT test to rule out any subtle pathology. My recommendation is based on the fact that you are already 50 and the problem occurs during or before exercise.

I hope this answers you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.

Follow-up: Sometimes before a sporting event I get so nervous it 38 hours later
Pains are occasional and seem to correlate to stress more than exertion. Played sports for an hour on Thursday night without pain afterward, and waked for 40 minutes yesterday without pain afterward (though I had been having these twinges as much as 15 minutes before the walk), so I'm inclined to think of them as annoying but benign.

I get them right behind my left nipple and right under my left armpit, if that helps.

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for following up.

Although the available description strongly favors the possibility of benign pain but still I feel that the ECG is at least needed. As stated above 50 years of age and above is major criteria.

In addition presence of intermittent pain on left side of chest and armpit indicates that still, we need to look for cardiac causes. I also believe that stress is one form of exertion when it comes to cardiac pain so that again indicates that ECG should be done.

If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below-mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386

Thanks and regards.