Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Skin hanging under my tongue, one is irritating. Should I be concerned ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1974
Answered : 1750 Questions
This may seem silly. I haven't really paid attention to the underneath of my tongue before. I had a gum that got infected so I have been worrying. I felt like I have an ulcer under my tongue but its actually skin hanging. It is pretty small and I notice that I have them on both sides. Only the one is irritated. should I be concerned?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 10 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Most probably what you are looking at is "sub lingual duct openings" present in the floor of the mouth in the anterior part where the tongue is attached. The openings are seen as sprouting structures and may appear as loose skin fold in some.

If you do not have any other complain and you are asymptomatic, you need not worry.

If there is some problem, I would suggest you to visit your surgeon and discuss about it.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if I have missed out on any of your concerns.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Skin hanging under my tongue, one is irritating. Should I be concerned ? 10 hours later
These are actually on the under side of the tongue. Where the two veins run on either side. I think they are usually bumps on most tongues however mine looks like loose skin. Thanks. They are probably the same thing just want to make sure. They do not hurt.
Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 3 hours later
Thank you for writing back.

In my opinion, you most probably have normal anatomical structure with some variation. To confirm, please get a check up in order to be sure that nothing is wrong. I think an early diagnosis and treatment will pretty much help if something is wrong.

I hope I have addressed your concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor