Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

197 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
MD
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Should I go to the ER following accidental swallowing of a dental floss?

Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 12943 Questions

default
Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in Dental Health
Question: I think I swallowed my dental pick from falling asleep as I was using it at 10 PM in bed. When I woke at midnight, I felt a small point of itch/ache in center right of throat. This feeling has continued as and after I speak. My son looked a few minutes ago
with a flashlight into my mouth but found nothing visible. Do I go to the ER or just wait for the feeling to go away?
XXXX, YYYY@YYYY

Dental pick is term for the two prongs holding small piece of floss with a pick at the other end of instrument. (a dental flosser)
doctor
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get checked at emergency room.

Detailed Answer:

Hello,

Thanks for the query.

Well, first of all make sure that you swallowed it or not.

If at all you have swallowed it and you do not have any obstruction in swallowing then probably it is passed down the throat and not struck.

But to be on a safer side it is advisable to get examined at the emergency room.

If it has passed and is very small in size then it will probably pass out with stool.

But being careful is must.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Dr. Honey Arora, Dentist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
doctor
premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on