Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Should I consult an orthopedics specialist for my child's knock knees?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
My daughter is 4.6 years old and has a condition called "Knock Knees". I noticed it recently when I told her to stand in attention and read about it online and heard it is completely normal for children during this age group. What would you recommend I should do now that I have noticed and read that it is a condition that can be corrected. Do you recommend that I show this to a Orthopedics specialist?
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Physiological Genu valgum Detailed Answer: Hi, In toddlers less than 6 yrs knock knees ( genu valgum) is common and physiological. The problem is self limiting and innocuous. The natural course of this is benign and requires no treatment. However we advise the parents for an annual physical with the doctor. This will allay your fears. If it progresses even after 8 yrs it may be considered pathologic and interventions may be needed. Hope this answers.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor